Water Damage Contractors Lawrence KS

How Can You Prevent Mold After Severe Water Damage

Water damage creates the ideal conditions for mold to thrive by introducing high moisture and humidity levels to your home. Any time water damage occurs in a home, no matter how minor it may seem, there’s a chance that mold will begin to grow. It’s extremely important that you take proper steps to prevent mold growth any time your home experiences water damage. But what are those steps? Read this blog from our water damage contractors in Lawrence, KS, to find out.

Dry It Out Quickly

The most critical thing you can do is dry out your home as quickly as possible. Mold can begin to grow within 24 hours but most often begins within 48 hours. So, you want to ensure that your home is completely dried out and all water removed in under two days. This is a tall order—especially if you’re trying to go it alone—which is why we always recommend working with water damage experts for professional water extraction in Lawrence, KS.

Teams like ours have the skills, experience, and tools needed to rapidly remove any standing water, dry out materials, and remove excess humidity from your home’s environment. By eliminating these factors as quickly as possible, we make your home an unfriendly environment for mold to grow.

Remove Water Damaged Material

In some cases, there will be materials that can be properly salvaged. When this occurs, it’s much better to simply remove the water-damaged material as soon as possible. Doing so is another step in eliminating moisture from home as quickly as possible. For example, if it’s readily apparent that a section of your drywall can’t be dried and restored, removing the waterlogged material will remove all of the moisture it’s hanging onto. This makes the drying process much easier and quicker, rather than taking the time to dry out materials that will need to be replaced anyway.

Know the Warning Signs

When you’ve experienced water damage, you should remain on high alert for signs of mold for a couple of weeks afterward. Even if you’re totally confident that your home was dried out before mold started growing, and even if you worked with a professional to do the job right, it’s always better to keep an eye out for signs of mold growth. The sooner you catch it, the easier it is to deal with the problem.

Signs of mold growth can include a musty odor, discoloration in the paint on your walls, unexplained carpet stains, allergy or asthma flare-ups, and more. If you notice these signs in areas that were impacted by water damage, you’ll want to seek mold remediation as soon as possible.

Emergency Cleanup Services Lawrence KS

Disinfect Impacted Surfaces

Even if you don’t see actual mold growth, it’s good to thoroughly disinfect any surfaces damaged by water. There could be mold spores clinging to these surfaces, just waiting to start blooming. By taking the time to disinfect them with a mold-killing cleaner, you’ll eliminate those spores before they can begin to spread and cause a problem for your home.

At Emergency Mitigation Services, we’re experts in dealing with water damage and providing emergency cleanup services in Lawrence, KS. We can get your home dried out quickly as well as help you tackle any mold problems that might arise as a result of your water damage. Contact us today, and we’ll send a team to your home right away!