Water in places it doesn’t belong is the enemy of your home; if you’ve experienced any kind of water damage, you know this is absolutely true. Water quickly moves along the path of least resistance, damaging everything it touches along the way. And it doesn’t matter where the water comes from; whether the water gets in via floods, drippy or broken pipes, backed up sewers, or leaky roofs, the problems caused by water are the same.
The experts at Emergency Mitigation Services (EMS) provide 24-hour water removal in Kansas City. Our team of experts is here to help you understand water damage so you can determine what to do next.
Understanding Water Damage
Water damage is a broad term that refers to the aftereffects of any adverse water event. Some water damage is easy to see; the effects of water are evident on wet stuff like carpets, furniture, and other items. But water damage doesn’t stop at the surface. Water seeps into what lies beneath, wicking stealthily into floors, walls, and ceilings without leaving so much as a trace. Even once you’ve successfully removed all of the surface water, you can be certain that unseen water remains behind.
The other thing that makes water so destructive is that the longer it sits, the more damage it can do. It weakens walls, ceilings, and foundations, potentially resulting in collapse and failure. Water trapped in your walls can freeze and thaw in the unpredictable Kansas City weather; the constant expansion and contraction are especially harmful to your structure. And a damp environment is ideal for mold and mildew to grow. Even if the weather is cold, this harmful fungus can grow in your home.
Recognizing the Signs
Water is sneaky, but knowing the signs of damage is helpful. Recognize the following signs of unwanted water:
- Visible standing water or drips. If you see water, it’s time to look around for where it came from and where it could be going.
- Discolorations and stains. Dark spots on the walls, floors, and ceilings often indicate the presence of water.
- Musty odor. If you notice a musty smell, especially in the basement, water is the likely culprit.
- Bulging wallpaper or cracking paint. Both of these may indicate wet drywall beneath.
- Squishy floor. A soft, squishy floor is a sure sign of water damage.
With all this information in mind, it’s not hard to understand why it’s critical to take quick action following any water event. In the event of water damage, here’s what you need to do:
- Stop the water. Take whatever actions you can to stop any more water from getting in and from flowing beyond where it’s already gone.
- Move whatever you can. Lift up carpets, take out rugs, move furniture – get everything out. If the water doesn’t touch it, it can’t hurt it.
- Eliminate the standing water. Wet/dry vacs are a great tool for this. Suck up all the water you see.
- Get the air circulating. Fans and dehumidifiers help circulate the air and remove moisture from the space. Make sure that air can freely flow around anything that got wet.
- Call EMS for water mitigation in Kansas City. We have the skills and the tools to mitigate water damage by rapidly removing the water and drying things out.
Don’t risk the health of your family and the integrity of your structure by waiting; as soon as significant water damage occurs, call the experts at EMS for help.